About Us

My photo
After an 8 year battle with infertility and countless struggles, our family is finally complete. This blog chronicles the journey it took for us to start and build the family we always wanted. Background on the blog (started in 2012, just days before I found out the embryo transfer for our son worked).... I decided to start a blog after realizing I have only been able to make it through my TWW's (two week waits) with the help of Google and with the openness of other women suffering from infertility sharing their own stories and giving others hope. I have time and time again found my exact symptoms on other women's blogs and felt an overwhelming sense of calmness they provided me. I thought it was time to pay it forward and hopefully provide this same thing to other women on their own journeys.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014


So we triggered last night (Monday) at 8:30pm.   Our retrieval is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 8:30am.  They want us there at 7:00am to go over the next course of drugs and to sign papers.   There is a big snow storm coming this way so we are actually driving down this evening after work and checking into a hotel across the street from the hospital.   So the trigger consisted of 10,000 units of HCG in powder form.  I had to mix 1 mL of sterile water with it and create the cocktail.  I then injected it subcutaneously per my instructions from the clinic.  

To check to see if my body was metabolising the HCG well, I was instructed to POAS on a HPT in the morning.   If it was positive…good.  If it was negative…call Dawn the nurse.   Come morning, I pee in a cup (since I’m not dexterous enough to POAS – pee on a stick) and dip my internet cheapie stick in the pee.  I am saddenly when it wasn’t immediately positive.  I figured with 10,000 units of HCG it would be.  Anyways, after 5 minutes there is a faint line.  It’s positive which is good, but it’s so faint so of course I’m worried I didn’t do the trigger correctly the night before.  I rush downstairs to look at the box the HCG powder came in.  It says in large letters on the front “For IM use only.”  Great, was I supposed to inject this in a muscle and not the fat on my stomach?   I check my instructions from the clinic and the instructions say subcutanesouly and to ignore the instructions on the box.  So I am littler calmer  now but still riled up.  I email nurse dawn a photo of the pee stick. 

Nurse Dawn calls me back within the hour on our way to work and says it is a little light and to get an HCG level check via bloodwork.  So we make a pit stop at work so I can print the blood draw requisition.  I then race to the ACL Lab and sign in.  I write STAT by my name and I’m called next in front of about 15 people waiting in the waiting room.   Score!   The lady draws my blood and I head back to work.   I email Dawn to tell her that I had the draw done and ask what level they are looking for.  She said anything over 50 is good. 

A few hours later I get the call…….109!   Praise sweet baby Jesus!    We are ok.  We are good to go still.  My little eggies are completing the final stages of eggdom and getting ready to be harvested tomorrow morning!

Here are pics of the trigger shot as well as the HPT….

Trigger update:  The trigger isn't registering too well in my system.  (109 beta)


  1. That's crazy! I did that same trigger and it was ALWAYS IM shot! Glad you did the beta to be sure! Can't wait to hear your egg update!!!

    1. Ironically I POASed again today (because I want to pee out the trigger) and it was WAAAY darker than the day before. I'm writing my egg retrieval update right now! Stay tuned!