About Us

My photo
After an 8 year battle with infertility and countless struggles, our family is finally complete. This blog chronicles the journey it took for us to start and build the family we always wanted. Background on the blog (started in 2012, just days before I found out the embryo transfer for our son worked).... I decided to start a blog after realizing I have only been able to make it through my TWW's (two week waits) with the help of Google and with the openness of other women suffering from infertility sharing their own stories and giving others hope. I have time and time again found my exact symptoms on other women's blogs and felt an overwhelming sense of calmness they provided me. I thought it was time to pay it forward and hopefully provide this same thing to other women on their own journeys.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Egg Retrieval

We got to Cleveland last night just as the snow storm was rolling in.  The last 20 miles were slow going and we were just so relieved once we were snuggled in our hotel room.  We ordered room service and order a movie (Thor 2 which was pretty good).

I tossed and turned all night.  I wasn't nervous for the actual procedure but more so for the number of eggs they'd retrieve.  To recap again, our first IVF the numbers were:
17 retrieved
12 mature
7 fertilized
5 transferred (over 3 transfers)
1 baby

So with a 1/17 rate I was just nervous since they were only predicting 8 good eggs this go around.   It only takes 1, right?

So I woke up before my alarm went off around 5:40.  We had to be at the hospital at 7.  The hospital was literally across the street so I wasn't worried we wouldn't be on time.   I rinsed off, got dressed, and was ready to go.  I had to fast so I didn't get to eat or drink anything.

One thing about the Cleveland Clinic I liked was they had a wishing well in their lobby.  Mike and I would make a wish with each retrieval/transfer.  The UH Hospital doesn't have one of those so I was so happy to see this in our lobby....  (we each made wishes / said prayers before we left for the hospital)....


We got to the hospital by 6:55.  I proceeded to wait to talk to my nurse Dawn about my upcoming medications but she never made it in, most likely do to the snow, so I talked to a different nurse instead.  After that we were taken back to the surgical prep area and given a little room.  I undressed, climbed on the bed, and got to know the nurse back there pretty well.  She was soooooo nice.  Diana.  Loved her!   She put the IV in my hand and then we waited until 8:25 to start.



I was taken into the OR and used a stool to get up onto the table.  My lady bits were pretty much on display for everyone once I put my legs in the leg holder thingies.  They didn't ask me to count backwards this time and I was mid-sentence when the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery room.   I look down at my hand and this is what I see!!


14 eggs retrieved!  Woo hoo!  Granted they take the eggs from even the smallest follicles to burst them but I'm hoping at least 8 to 10 are mature.  Fingers crossed.  I will hear when they call with the fert report.   By the way, they wrote it on my hand because as you're coming out of the anesthesia you have no short term memory.  

Trigger update:  The trigger is registering pretty strongly in my system 2 days post trigger.



No comments:

Post a Comment