About Us

My photo
After an 8 year battle with infertility and countless struggles, our family is finally complete. This blog chronicles the journey it took for us to start and build the family we always wanted. Background on the blog (started in 2012, just days before I found out the embryo transfer for our son worked).... I decided to start a blog after realizing I have only been able to make it through my TWW's (two week waits) with the help of Google and with the openness of other women suffering from infertility sharing their own stories and giving others hope. I have time and time again found my exact symptoms on other women's blogs and felt an overwhelming sense of calmness they provided me. I thought it was time to pay it forward and hopefully provide this same thing to other women on their own journeys.

Friday, June 22, 2012

25w6d - First trip to Labor and Delivery

Holy crap.  We just had our first scare (and I'm sure not our last).  I was at work today and kinda had some cramps this morning which I disregarded and then when I was peeing I noticed a spot of blood on my pantyliner.  I just about died.  I called my OB's office and they said they'd call me back.  Really?  Call me back?   I am literally scared out of my mind and you are going to "call me back"???  

Anyways, since Erie Insurance is just blocks from Hamot Women's Hospital I just made a decision to go to Labor and Delivery.  They whisked me into triage at once (since I was balling by that point).  So the whisked me into a triage room only to ask for my ID and insurance cards and made me wait. Isn't that kinda disappointing that instead of helping me right away they made sure I could pay before they did?  Ugh...  

Anyways... a nurse came in and hooked me up to monitors that monitored the baby's heart rate and my uterus for contractions.  His heart rate was a good 140~145 the majority of the time we were there today.  It spiked to 160 once but he was moving around at that point.  They took a urine sample and they drew blood (twice - because they had to run another test they didn't run on the first batch).  They also had a sonographer do an ultrasound to look at the placenta to make sure there were no placental abruptions.  

One of my OB's came in about 2 hours after we were admitted to tell me everything looks normal.  The spot of blood is still unexplained but everything looks good.  Mike Googled it and I guess your cervix is super sensitive the further into pregnancy you get so maybe something bothered it.  My coworker Jimmy made a good point that this morning, after we went to Starbucks (don't worry, I didn't get any caffeinated drinks), I jogged (or as he called it "shuffled") across the street pretty quickly.  So maybe that was the cause.  Who knows.  

Now I am on super high alert and still kinda freaked out.   Hopefully that will be the first and last scare we have before his official arrival in September or October.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a nasty scare. But I think just about every woman has a story like that from some point in their pregnancy. Every day from now on means you are safer and safer to deliver even if it happens early. (And knowing this you will probably be prepped to go early...and you'll go late.)